Easy Cheesy Risotto

It's been a long time since I last posted on here.

To be honest I had lost my cooking groove. But once again I return. Today with a dish so easy that my 6-year-old son made it. Hows that for simple?

I happened up on a picture on @pinterest by Soup Addict and my youngest was peering over my shoulder and decided that he wanted to make it for tea one day!

So beware this is a photo-frenzied post compared to my usual posts.

Easy Cheesy Risotto


Serves 4

1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp olive oil
1 white onion, finely chopped
200g Arborio Rice
1.25 litres hot chicken stock
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp dijon mustard
salt and pepper to taste
100g grated mature cheddar
50g Parmesan, finely grated

 1. In a heavy pot/pan (or multi-cooker in this case safety first and all that) bring the butter and oil up to temperature. Add the onion, and gently soften until translucent.(We cut the onion really small as my youngest really doesn't like 'crying' onion. 

2. Add the rice, and coat in the onion mixture. Add 1/2 cup of the chicken stock here (or white wine if you prefer or have a bottle open), the mustard and smoked paprika. Keep stirring until all the stock is absorbed.





3. Add the stock slowly and in little bits, stirring until it all is absorbed before adding the next bit. Continue until the rice is tender with a little bite and the dish is creamy. 

4. Take off the heat and stir in both cheeses. 

5. Spoon the risotto into shallow bowls and serve with a side salad. Ours was made by my eldest boy.



Simple Dressed Side Salad

Serves 4

We used a mixture of iceburg lettuce, cucumber and cherry tomatoes. Plus, half a red onion. 

This was a heart-stopping moment! Sharp knife and small tomatoes. 
Thank heavens for chopping gadgets, the Nicer Dicer has prevented even more grey hairs arriving on my head.


Thing 1 added the chopped veggies to a simple dressing. 

Simple salad dressing

Serves 4
 


1 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 tsp sugar
salt and pepper to taste.

Either put in the bottom of the bowl you are going to make the salad in or add to a small jam jar and shake it to mix (once you've put the lid on that is).

 So that's our offering from the Princess Kitchen today.

BeeBee x

Comments

  1. Oh my goodness, it looks amazing. I've had risotto a few times at restaurant but never made it myself yet. What the heck is my problem? I'm sure your 6-year old can run risotto circles around me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He can be a bit of a whizz in the kitchen. Little gadgets do help though.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment